Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Link to the Past

Ever since I played A Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past on SNES as a wee-little Jade, I have been in love with the Zelda series.  It epitomizes the zeitgeist of my youth and makes me recall the innocence of that time in my life.  The story of Zelda being rescued by her brave warrior Link was better than any Disney feel-good movie.  While not as handsome as Prince Charming,this knight in shining armor had to be smart to solve the complex puzzles and mazes.  Like all men of fairy tales, Link gave me a skewed view of all men.  Throughout all the trials and fights, Link never spoke.  No words ever passed his lips, except the grunts in newer games as he rolled forward or sliced enemies with his sword.  Never complained, never asked you to cook or cut back on spending.  Link was the perfect man.

The two projects that I am currently working on are based on the fantasies of my youth.

The first is from one of the end game screens and has the 6 Maidens, Zelda, and the King in front of Hyrule Castle.  This is part a larger project/pipe dream that I have- stitching 6 - 7in x 8in scenes from the game to be hung around the Light World Map.  Husband has approved that when finished, this glorious work can be displayed in our living room.


The other is for a charity project on the Sprite Stitch forums, and is Link surrounded by chickens, praying on a tree stump.  There was something cathartic about hacking away at a defenseless chicken.  And the first time it happened, I was shocked that these vulnerable little creatures came raining down on Link.  The only thought that ran through my head when this happened was "Mother Clucker!"  Thus the title of the piece.


Will update these WIPs as I stitch more.

1 comment:

  1. How did you convert the sprite picture into a cross stitch pattern? I see tons of sprite sheets, but they're all too little to make much use of!

    ReplyDelete