Thursday, February 24, 2011

New Book

I haven't been writing or stitching as much as I should because I've had my nose stuck in a book for the last week.  Typically, I'm not much for non-fiction.  I get my heavy doses of that through all of the documentaries that Netflix has to offer as I cross stitch.

The book is Columbine, by Dave Cullen.
The story of Columbine has never been told in such a haunting format.  The story and evolution of the two killers, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, are intertwined with graphic descriptions of the massacre, family and student reactions, as well as updates ten years after the fact.  I go from being on the brink of tears, to down right anger at the police for not piecing together the pieces, and then staging a cover-up. 

While I could never say I understood the killers, I have never thought about or saw their humanity displayed until now. It is also disturbing at how normal there lives seemed.  I had always assumed that they had dysfunctional families, parents that didn't care.  Not true.  It is scarily eye-opening.

Hopefully I will have the book done by this weekend.  Then, an update on my students' perception of Othello, my Earthbound cross-stitch, and updates on Emma's food (now eating bananas, avacados, and rice cereal- will take pictures of the cooking process).

No comments:

Post a Comment